Powered By Blogger

Friday, May 21, 2010

Parents or Police??


As we get older, we gain more responsibility. We grow as individuals. We find ourselves and learn to act mature and take a step back from the drama of high school; but this is only what we see when we look in the mirror.


To a parent, when they look at us walking through the door at 2:00 in the morning these are the thoughts they are thinking: What were they doing? Who were they with? Were they having sex? Do I smell smoke? What’s in that bag? How many kilometres were put on the car? I should definitely be worried and make assumptions about my child and not trust them what so ever.


Believe it or not, teens, we can actually control ourselves in situations. Most often in times, we know when something is going to go wrong and we get the hell outta there. But our parents still think they need to baby us and make sure we are holding Mommy’s hand while walking to school.


Sure there is bad in the world, but last time I checked, I have a mind that makes decisions and I have a conscience to tell the devil on my shoulder to go back to hell. How are we ever supposed to learn from our mistakes if we aren’t allowed to make any? What kind of teen can live life wrapped in bubble wrap making sure they don’t get hurt or get exposed to problems of high school? Life is a learning process and not everyone is perfect- we all fumble but we get ourselves back on track and that is the beauty of growing up and dealing with the cards we are dealt.


I get it though, parents are here to help us and they want us to do our best. They want us to be that straight A student who goes to the library on weekends who always has a nose in a book. But on a logical scale, how many teens actually do such things? I don’t and that’s for sure. I’m lucky that my parents are lenient with me and let me learn from my mistakes. My parents give me the freedom to experience life because we all know; you never know when our time is up.


But I feel really bad for my friends who have to worry every minute of their day because they are constantly trying to live up to the standards their parents have set for them. I feel like some of my friends don’t have parents, but live with police, who interrogate them every time they walk through the door of their home. I would go crazy living in a house like that- but I know that they exist. That’s the sad part.


No Living= No Learning

Overprotective= Not good

Parents should leave the policing to the actual police!

The bubble should be popped.

1 comment:

  1. So I posted a comment before but I don't think I did it right, but if there are two comments, oh well :)
    It's Jessica C btw, and your blogs are pretty funny yet frustrating because they're so true. I wonder what we'll think of teens when we're older :P Good work, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete